Dr. Of Medical Qigong (China)
Dean of Advanced Studies @
Barbara Brennan School of Healing 2000-2007
Core Energetics Therapist
Healing is an art that came to me unexpectedly. It is now my life's work. But for years I had no idea that my calling was anywhere outside of the mainstream.
I was born and raised in Texas, and received my Bachelors and Masters degrees in business administration from the University of Texas. My first job was with Arthur Andersen's consulting division, where I learned computer programming. Within two years, I had started my own software firm. I wrote my own software, including accounting and distribution packages. At its peak, my company had 11 employees and a marketing relationship with IBM.
During my mid-twenties I read Autobiography of a Yogi and loved it. Immediately I began studying yoga and mysticism. For a year I studied with the Self Realization Fellowship but wanted to experience a living spiritual teacher. I met Gurumayi, the spiritual head of Siddha Yoga, and followed the Siddha Yoga path for 8 years. For four of those years I lived in ashrams and I spent one of those years in India, which was too magical to put into words. The highlight of this adventure was that on a very deep level I learned about service to others and how much I enjoyed helping others on their journey.
While finishing a tour with Gurumayi in New Zealand, one evening I was with a group of people who were talking about Barbara Brennan and her book Hands of Light. The next day, in a New Zealand bookstore, the book Hands of Light was on display, which fascinated me. I thought - this is the book they were talking about last night. As I picked it up, a bolt of electricity went through me and a voice clearly said: This is your destiny. You are a healer.
Three months later I moved to New York to enroll in the Barbara Brennan School of Healing. In 1995 I graduated and have been a teacher there ever since. I have held positions on the freshman and senior teams; I was Dean of Awakening; and am currently Dean of Advanced Studies and responsible for training future teachers.
Now Barbara's school, which has been in existence for 20 years, is a college. Her two books, Hands of Light and Light Emerging, are considered mainstays in the healing arts field. I am deeply grateful to Barbara for her vision and her school, which have provided for me and others such an amazing level of transformation.
Along the way, I have acquired certification from numerous other trainings. All of which I feel add to who I am and what I bring to my teaching and healing.
- Core Energetics gave me an understanding of how important it is for a therapeutic modality to involve the body. The body holds deep cellular memories that may not be accessible through the mind. Psychosomatic therapy can be invaluable in working with childhood wounding and traumas. False conclusions and unresolved issues from childhood can create belief systems that prevent us from reaching fulfillment in life.
- Jason Schulman and the organization he founded, Society of Souls, integrates healing with the Jewish mystical tradition of the Kabbalah. I will never forget Jason's description of the realm of Azilut where beings are continually in service, prostrating to God, chanting, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory!"
- I am grateful to the brilliance of AH Almaas, the creator of Diamond Heart, and for my teacher in this tradition, Alia Johnson. Diamond Heart inquiry allowed me to accept where I was and how I was feeling with simplicity, truthfulness, and curiosity. I learned to examine myself, my likes and dislikes, objectively. Freed from bonds of shame and superego, one can view a situation merely as it is. Through Diamond Heart I realized how much the soul loves the truth.
- I have received my Doctorate in Medical Qigong from the International Institute of Medical Qigong (IIMQ). I have worked alongside Dr. Jerry Johnson, the founder of IIMQ, as an assistant in the Florida Five Element School of Acupuncture. Medical Qigong predates acupuncture and has been successfully used for thousands of years in Chinese hospitals Medical Qigong has healing protocols for specific disease imbalances as well as corresponding exercise prescriptions that the client does at home in-between healings. Chinese Medicine views man from a physical, energetic and psycho-spiritual perspective. I believe this type of integrated holistic approach will become the medical paradigm for the 21st century.
- Clairvision is a school of meditation, which has developed its own style of alternative therapy revolving around meditation-type techniques. Dr. Samuel Sagan, the founder of the Clairvision School, is the author of 16 books. I highly recommend Atlantean Secrets, a brilliant cosmological account of the legend of Atlantis. These books overflow with spiritual teachings and a magnitude of presences that can be actively felt and tuned into. The Knowledge Tracks are a series of correspondence courses that are complete with practical information and experientials on a variety of spiritual and alchemical subjects. The Death and Dying Knowledge Track offers information about death, rebirth, and the afterlife as well as meditation practices from several traditions. This knowledge track also includes instructions in how to read The Book of the Dead upon someone's passing, thus facilitating their afterlife journey. This is a great service you can render to loved ones and friends in their afterlife journey. I'm always profoundly affected by the meditation and transformational courses that the Clairvision School offers.